Snowed in Studios is a game development studio based in Ottawa, Canada. As part of Keywords Studios’ engineering service line, we provide programming support to some of the most important and exciting games being made today. You’ll have the chance to make a global impact, working in a studio known for shipping some of the most prestigious household names in gaming.
Employee satisfaction is at the top of our priority list. We understand that you work your best when you’re happy. This is why we were recently recognized as one of the Top 10 Places to Work in Ottawa!
We are currently looking to add an experienced Senior Game Designer and entertainment veteran to our already amazing team. As a “Snowmie” game designer you will be responsible for creating & owning the implementation of fun, engaging in-game events and other game content – as well as creating clear and complete game design documentation for said game content and features.
You will understand the player, and voice the player’s emotional experience with the game, approaching game design by putting the player first. You will also take the lead in assessing and applying qualitative and quantitative feedback to improve game engagement, monetization, and retention.
Some of the cool stuff you’ll be doing
- Creative Design: You are first and foremost a skilled game designer with published mobile and console games in your credits. You can develop, plan and execute design, from pitch to gold master on console, mobile, PC, web and any other platform the games industry throws at you.
- Leadership and mentoring: That’s leadership, not management, and you know the difference. We want to hear how you serve a technical and creative team of uber-smart engineers and artists to reach a common goal, and how you develop the individual potential of every team member.
- Client Relations: We’re a customer-driven organization, so you are comfortable with client-facing relationships and communications.
- Communication: Speaking of communication, you have to be able to filter vast amounts of information into actionable items, while clearly keeping your team, your client and management informed of the changing situation.
- Product Management: You know what makes a good gameplay experience, and can constructively critique and guide in-development games to make them better. You can also guide a group in brainstorming a new title from the ground up, providing guidance on gameplay, art, tech, analytics, cert and legislation that affects your title.
- Passion and Ambition: You have a thirst for knowledge and a passion for engaging entertainment experiences, gaming, technology and art.
What you’ll bring to the table:
- Minimum 7 years experience in mobile game design, including at least 2 years on a game in live ops
- Minimum 2 years triple-A console and PC game design experience
- Strong knowledge of free-to-play games in general, and quest-based with collectibles are a plus
- Excellent communication and critical thinking skills; ability to identify and solve key problems creatively with minimal guidance
- Experience creating game systems, mechanics, features, and content designed to appeal to a casual audience
- Unity and whitebox prototyping experience a plus
- Solid understanding of economy balance and tuning
- Strong teamwork and collaboration focus
- Ability to mentor and lead both junior and intermediate game designers
- Experience writing clear and concise game design documentation, specs, user flows, and feature documentation.
- Effective communication skills across all levels of a small studio and a multinational organization
- A portfolio of your designs is required for consideration of this position.
- Creative Director or Lead Game Designer roles in high-budget games
- Programming or artistic experience in a game production
- Various game engines
- Jira, SharePoint
We want to hear about the cool experience that you bring to the table to help build the gaming industry in Ottawa. We want to hear from you!
What’s in it for you?
- The chance to work in triple-A, in a no-crunch modern studio with a relaxed atmosphere and a variety of work
- Comprehensive benefits package that covers Dental Care, Health Care (including out of country coverage), Vision Care, Long Term Disability, Physio, Massage etc.
- Generous leave policies including 3 weeks paid vacation (plus 1 week over the Holiday Season), unlimited sick leave and 2 paid personal days. We also provide parental leave top-up and an Employee and Family Assistance Plan that offer 24/7 free and confidential help with your physical and mental health.
- RRSP Matching and Employee Stock Purchase Programs
- A dynamic and supportive team environment with a range of experience and an amazing culture – we have board game nights, movie, nights, arcade tournaments, and more to help blow off steam and hang out together.
- The opportunity to build or expand your career the way you want to, in a smaller studio connected to a global studio family
- A way-cool hoodie!
Snowed In Studios is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. Please let us know of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process.