Snowed in Studios is a game development studio based in Ottawa, Canada. As part of Keywords Studios’ engineering service line, we provide programming support to some of the most important and exciting games being made today. You’ll have the chance to make a global impact, working in a studio known for shipping some of the most prestigious household names in gaming.
Employee satisfaction is at the top of our priority list. We understand that you work your best when you’re happy.
We are currently looking add experienced Rendering Programmers to our already amazing team. As a “Snowmie” programmer with a specialty in Rendering, you will use your awesome skills in C++, DirectX, OpenGL, and shader languages (such as HLSL & GLSL) to help our client studios to bring their games to realization.
You will use your passion for games & graphics, insatiable curiosity, and versatility to work on a variety of projects and across all aspects of game development. In return, you will be part of a creative and supportive team environment with the ability to have a direct impact on the development of top-tier games.
Are you up for the challenge?
Some of the cool stuff you’ll be doing:
- Program code customized to the hardware you are working with
- Explore new hardware and deal with the interesting new challenges it poses
- Meet up with artists to assess their needs and vision as well as prototype ideas
- Review code to improve its performance, in search of that vital extra millisecond
- Read the latest relevant academic literature in order to stay at the forefront of your field
- Update and improve existing rendering systems for the next generation of consoles
- Work with legacy projects to bring them into the modern era
- Optimize CPU/GPU performance and memory usage in the rendering pipeline
- Effectively communicate progress, problems, and solutions to project leadership
- Actively participate in code reviews
- Build a solid relationship with your programming peers in-house and around the world
What you’ll bring to the table:
- At least 5 years’ experience as a professional graphics programmer
- Strong proficiency in C++ including modern language features
- Experience with DirectX and OpenGL
- Experience with shader languages such as HLSL and GLSL
- Experience developing on video-game consoles and in performance optimization for consoles
- Experience in parallelization paradigms and optimizing algorithms
- Good knowledge of 3D rendering algorithms (e.g. physically-based rendering, fragment-linked lists, shadow mapping, global illumination, motion blur, volume rendering, etc.)
- Experience with GPU profiling using Pix, AMD’s Radeon GPU profiler, NVidia’s GPU profiler
- Experience using graphics debugging tools like Renderdoc
- Strong math skills in algebra, geometry, calculus etc.
- Solid knowledge of GPU and CPU architectures
- A proficiency to communicate with all disciplines and to support and elevate the team in terms of visuals and performance
- Experience with Unity 3D or Unreal Engine
- Experience with Vulkan or Modern Metal
- Experience with scripting languages such as Perl, Python, and Lua
- Experience with C#
- Experience with graphics tools and exporters such as Maya, 3DS Max, MotionBuilder and Photoshop
- Knowledge of CUDA / OpenCL
What’s in it for you?
- The chance to work in triple-A, in a no-crunch modern studio with a relaxed atmosphere and a variety of work
- Comprehensive benefits package that covers Dental Care, Health Care (including out of country coverage), Vision Care, Long Term Disability, Physio, Massage etc.
- Generous leave policies including 3 weeks paid vacation (plus 1 week over the Holiday Season), unlimited sick leave and 2 paid personal days. We also provide parental leave top-up and an Employee and Family Assistance Plan that offer 24/7 free and confidential help with your physical and mental health.
- A dynamic and supportive team environment with a range of experience and an amazing culture – we have board game nights, movie, nights, arcade tournaments, and more to help blow off steam and hang out together.
- The opportunity to build or expand your career the way you want to, in a smaller studio connected to a global studio family
- A way-cool hoodie!
- Office Location: 981 Wellington Street West, Ottawa Ontario Canada
- Primary Working Language: English
- Salary Range: $57,000 to $100,000