Snowed in Studios is a game development studio based in Ottawa, Canada. As part of Keywords Studios’ engineering service line, we provide programming support to some of the most important and exciting games being made today. You’ll have the chance to make a global impact, working in a studio known for shipping some of the most prestigious household names in gaming.
Employee satisfaction is at the top of our priority list. We understand that you work your best when you’re happy.
We are currently looking add an experienced Art Director to our already amazing team. Drawing on your previous experience in the AAA-space, you will be willing to challenge your creativity and us help build a new team as we continue to grow. You will be experienced and confident in setting art benchmarks for your teams, and you are an active coach and mentor that inspires them to create great game environments and assets.
Since you will be collaborating with different departments, good social skills and excellent communication with everyone involved in the design process is a must.
Some of the cool stuff you’ll be doing:
- Defining game art styles
- Conveying expectations, both in terms of the level of quality and content (backgrounds, environments, characters), to the graphics team (lead artists, concept artists, environment artists, character artists, animation team) by making use of visual references, concept art, production design, and atmosphere materials
- Developing high standards of quality
- Supervising and approving work completed by the graphics team to ensure that the elements produced comply with the vision for the game, as well as meeting quality standards
- Establishing art production pipelines, and ensuring the maintenance of the workflow of artistic tasks
- Providing guidance and advice to the team
- Ensuring that the artistic framework, schedule and budget are all abided by
- Employee management
- Manage employee performance evaluations
- Active participation in recruitment (CV and portfolio sorting; test evaluations, interviews)
What you’ll bring to the table:
- A minimum of 8+ years of progressive experience having recently held the role of art director, senior concept artist, or lead artist on AAA console/PC projects (games published on mobile platforms are an asset)
- Excellent artistic and technical skill sets (concept art, illustration, high-resolution sculpting/modelling, UI design)
- Expertise with 3D and 2D current-gen production tools (knowledge of rendering engines and of compositing is an asset)
- Strong experience in team workflow planning and organization, and you are able to delegate tasks and responsibilities within your team
- Technical expertise with the main graphics engines on the market (knowledge of iOS and Android platforms is an asset)
- Shipped console titles in various genres
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Demonstrate a mastery of art fundamentals: lighting, form, animation and layout in both 2D and 3D with versatility regarding backgrounds, characters graphics design and UI elements
- Possess excellent knowledge of the principles behind anatomy and design
- Possess a positive track record in terms of developing, mentoring, and managing multidisciplinary graphics teams
- Excellent knowledge/reasoning when it comes to game development and the realities of production, both from technical and conceptual standpoints
- Tactful and a strong communicator, able to mobilize and inspire a team
- Critical with a keen sense of observation, and able to express ideas
- Independent, rigorous and equipped with excellent organizational skills
What’s in it for you?
- The chance to work in triple-A, in a no-crunch modern studio with a relaxed atmosphere and a variety of work
- Comprehensive benefits package that covers Dental Care, Health Care (including out of country coverage), Vision Care, Long Term Disability, Physio, Massage etc.
- Generous leave policies including 3 weeks paid vacation (plus 1 week over the Holiday Season), unlimited sick leave and 2 paid personal days. We also provide parental leave top-up and an Employee and Family Assistance Plan that offer 24/7 free and confidential help with your physical and mental health.
- A dynamic and supportive team environment with a range of experience and an amazing culture – we have board game nights, movie nights, arcade tournaments, and more to help blow off steam and hang out together.
- The opportunity to build or expand your career the way you want to, in a smaller studio connected to a global studio family
- A way-cool hoodie!
- Office Location: 981 Wellington Street West, Ottawa Ontario Canada
- Primary Working Language: English
- Salary Range: from $90,000
Snowed In Studios is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. Please let us know of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process.